The Little Blog that Beats the Market

An investing blog that aggregates valuable information from the world's greatest investors on how to generate market beating returns

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Buffett's 2001 Letter to Berkshire Shareholders

Berkshire Book Value Per Share: $37,920

Direct Quotes:

"Another of my 1956 Ground Rules remains applicable: "I cannot promise results to partners." But Charlie and I can promise that your economic result from Berkshire will parallel ours during the period of your ownership: We will not take cash compensation, restricted stock or option grants that would make our results superior to yours."

"Additionally, I will keep well over 99% of my net worth in Berkshire. My wife and I have never sold a share nor do we intend to. Charlie and I are disgusted by the situation, so common in the last few years, in which shareholders have suffered billions in losses while the CEOs, promoters, and other higher-ups who fathered these disasters have walked away with extraordinary wealth. Indeed, many of these people were urging investors to buy shares while concurrently dumping their own, sometimes using methods that hid their actions. To their shame, these business leaders view shareholders as patsies, not partners."

"Though Enron has become the symbol for shareholder abuse, there is no shortage of egregious conduct elsewhere in corporate America. One story I’ve heard illustrates the all-too-common attitude of managers toward owners: A gorgeous woman slinks up to a CEO at a party and through moist lips purrs, "I’ll do anything you want. Just tell me what you would like." With no hesitation, he replies, "Reprice my options.""

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home